The project will introduce a dual carriage way from the Calder and Hebble junction to the Jubilee Road junction, a new link road between the A629 and Stainland Road with a new roundabout on Stainland Road.
The A629 Calder and Hebble Junction project includes:
- Moving the road line to the east to reduce impact on the western side.
- Delivering a full width footway and cycle path.
- Building a new link road between the A629 and Stainland Road via a new bridge spanning the Calder and Hebble Navigation.
- Building a new roundabout on Stainland Road.
- Widening Elland Wood Bottom and Stainland Road.
- Delivering a dual carriageway from Calder and Hebble Junction through to new traffic lights at the jubilee road junction.
- Improving bus access with a new northbound bus lane on Stainland Road
We have prepared a video that showcases all of our proposals.
- Economic growth: The project will improve access to Copley, Sowerby Bridge and Halifax, making sites on the route more attractive for business investment and creating more job opportunities.
- Improved landscape: The demolition of the Punch Bowl pub will make for a more attractive entrance to Halifax.
- Journey times: Once complete the project will reduce car journey times from Huddersfield to Halifax by up to 30%.
- Sustainability: Improvements will make bus journeys quicker and more practical, encouraging people to use the service. We’re promoting active travel by improving infrastructure to allow for safer journeys. This includes new cycle lanes and cycle crossings to encourage less confident cyclists.
Following the public engagement that took place through August and September 2018, work took place to prepare the proposals to be submitted for planning permission, which was submitted in late 2018 and granted in May 2019.
The processes of purchasing the land required for the project will now gain momentum and tendering for the detailed design resource are planned for 2019. The contract will be awarded in early 2020, after which work will begin on the detailed design.