This project will introduce a double lane from the Calder and Hebble junction to the Jubilee Road junction and a new link road between the A629 and Stainland Road with a new roundabout on Stainland Road.
The A629 Calder and Hebble Junction project includes:
- Moving the road line to the east to reduce impact on the western side.
- Delivering a full width footway and cycle path.
- Building a new link road between the A629 and Stainland Road via a new bridge spanning the Calder and Hebble Navigation.
- Building a new roundabout on Stainland Road.
- Widening Elland Wood Bottom and Stainland Road.
- Delivering a double lane from Calder and Hebble Junction through to new traffic lights at the Jubilee Road junction.
- Improving bus access with a new northbound bus lane on Stainland Road
- Economic growth: The project will improve access to Copley, Sowerby Bridge and Halifax, making sites on the route more attractive for business investment and creating more job opportunities.
- Improved landscape: The demolition of the Punch Bowl pub will make for a more attractive gateway to Halifax.
- Journey times: Once complete, the project will reduce car journey times from Huddersfield to Halifax by up to 30%.
- Sustainability: Improvements will make bus journeys quicker and more punctual, encouraging people to use them. We’re promoting active travel by improving infrastructure to allow for safer journeys. This includes new cycle lanes and cycle crossings to encourage less confident cyclists.
Following the public engagement that took place in autumn 2018, work took place to prepare the proposals to be submitted for planning permission, which was submitted in late 2018 and granted in May 2019.
The processes of purchasing the land required for the project is now advanced and tenders for both the detailed design and the construction are due for return in March 2020. It is anticipated that construction will commence on site in late 2020/early 2021.
** The Bridge Scheme Order and supporting plans are now open for viewing. Please see the 'Supporting Documents' section above or visit Halifax Customer First, Horton Street, Halifax, HX1 1QE **