The A629 Halifax to Huddersfield project includes:
- Creation and improvement of cycle routes to Halifax and Huddersfield, better linking to key trip attractors, such as Calderdale and Kirklees hospitals, Halifax, Huddersfield and Elland rail stations and town centres.
- Off network green ways and on highway cycle infrastructure.
- Creating a quality bus corridor with highway measures to improve bus journey times and journey quality.
- Real time information along bus routes, with improved stop locations.
- Bus infrastructure that can make it possible for bus operators to introduce an express service between Huddersfield and Halifax.
- Active network management to improve all journey modes.
- Reducing congestion at West Vale through capacity and junction signal improvements.
- Economic growth: The project will improve access to Halifax and Huddersfield from the M62, encouraging investment and employment in Calderdale and Kirklees.
- Sustainability: The bus corridor will make bus journeys more practical, encouraging more people to use the service. Significant cycling and pedestrian improvements will make these actives modes more popular for leisure and commuting.
- Safety: Dedicated cycle and pedestrian routes will make journeys safer.
- Journey times: Reduced congestion along the route will lead to improved journey times for all travel modes.
- Cleaner environment: The investment in active travel infrastructure and public transport could reduce private vehicle usage, leading to reduced emissions and reduced congestion.
In November 2018 we submitted the outline business case for the project to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority. A decision is expected on this in 2019.
To support the business case we have engaged stakeholders to understand their views and concerns. We also held a public consultation throughout February and March 2019. The consultation gave people the opportunity to review the proposals, meet the project team and ask questions. The feedback received will be used to develop the detailed, full business case proposals. The consultation report is available to view here.