The Vision Masterplan has been prepared by Brighouse Town Board and will support a bid for funding from the Government’s 'Town Deal Initiative' to reshape and reinvigorate Brighouse town centre as a distinctive destination in Calderdale.
Brighouse Vision Masterplan
The Vision Masterplan for Brighouse town centre will provide a framework for its future regeneration.
The Vision Masterplan builds on what makes Brighouse so special including its unique diverse events, its compact town centre, its good accessibility and links to neighbouring towns and cities and its range of independent shops. The plan will capture the strengths of Brighouse including the feeling of being safe, the feeling of belonging and its distinctive identify. The plan will also seek to address some key limitations of the existing town centre such as poor access to the river and canal watersides, a lack of public green space, problems with moving around, and other traffic and parking issues.
The objective is to create a place that offers a special experience of independent shops, events and facilities for both the community and visitors; a place that is welcoming and pleasant to spend time in; a place that is green and a place that is easy to get to by walking and cycling.
Funding is now being sought from the Government’s ‘Town Deals Initiative’ to deliver the Vision Masterplan. The key aims will be to:
- Support the vitality of the independent retail offer of the town and access to these and wider leisure facilities.
- Reduce traffic dominance in the town centre and improve the provision and accessibility of more sustainable transport modes
- Improve public spaces to make them more welcoming and to give recreational opportunities and encourage people to stay longer.
- Increase take up of residential living in the town centre
- Celebrate the distinct heritage of Brighouse's waterside and its historic centre.
- Support greater ‘presence’ of civic institutions.
- Significantly improve the green feel of the town centre.
- Address the poor quality and lack of character in some parts of the town centre.
- Entry points to the town centre: Remodeled streets and spaces at main entry points to form generous arrival and crossings for pedestrians and cyclists travelling between residential and employment neighbourhoods, and the town centre.
- Commercial Street: Improved quality and feel of the street to make it more people friendly and to support the strong retail offer.
- Brighouse Lanes: Enhanced public space, public art and better access from Market Street, Park Street, West Park Street, Park Row and Hall Street.
- Brighouse Canalside: Generous public space created around the Canalside and Bethel Street.
- Links to stations and car parks: High quality finishes to pedestrian and cycle links to Brighouse bus and rail stations, and to car parks.
- Arts, culture and interpretation: Provision of leisure and recreation offers that complement surrounding towns and cities.
The Vision Masterplan was commissioned by Brighouse Town Board in autumn 2019 to provide a framework for the future regeneration of the town centre and to apply for funding from the Government to support this improvement. In November 2019, an announcement was made by the Government that Brighouse had been identified as being one of the successful towns that would be included as part of its brand new ‘Town Deals’ funding initiative. The aims of the ‘Town Deals’ are to unleash the full economic potential of over 100 places to level up communities throughout the country, and to drive the sustainable regeneration of towns for long term economic and productive growth.
The Vision Masterplan has been shaped following in-depth engagement with a wide variety of stakeholders with valuable local knowledge. The findings from that engagement process helped develop the first draft of the plan. A further public consultation exercise was undertaken in June/early July 2020 and the feedback will be carefully studied and help to refine and shape the Vision Masterplan. This will then be used to prepare a detailed funding bid to the Government’s ‘Town Deal’ initiative which will be submitted in autumn 2020.
Brighouse Accelerator Scheme
In 2020, Brighouse Town Deal Board received a £750,000 boost from the Government’s initial accelerated funding for all areas working towards a Town Deal. This additional funding was used to introduce new pedestrian areas with benches, plants, and trees in Brighouse town centre.
The aim of this early introduction of pedestrian and green space in the town centre is to increase footfall, create a greener and healthier environment and promote activity. These high-quality public realm elements will help to kickstart the reinvigoration of Brighouse town centre, increasing dwell times and drawing more people towards the town’s unique retail offer.
The Brighouse Accelerator Scheme, completed in June 2021 was delivered as an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO). Calderdale Council are inviting feedback on the improvements that have been delivered until 25th September 2021. This feedback will be used to inform any changes that need to be made to the new benches and plants and to decide whether the scheme is kept in place permanently. To find out more visit our TRO webpage and to have your say email firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting ‘Brighouse Accelerator Scheme feedback’.