The project has seen the former central library transformed into a brand new Sixth Form Centre. The Centre opened in September 2020 to welcome its first cohort of 600 students. The remainder of the site will be developed to provide high quality office space and a new retail and leisure offer in the heart of Halifax.
The innovative Halifax Northgate House project includes:
- Introduction of a new sixth form centre delivered with Trinity Multi-Academy Trust and Rastrick High School.
- Delivery of 12,000 sq ft. of flexible retail space and 40,000 sq ft. of high quality office space across five storeys.
- Economic growth: The project will provide economic growth and employment opportunities in Halifax. Northgate House will create a hub for business, food, leisure and retail, providing increased footfall to the Town Centre The improved education and skills offer in Calderdale will also encourage business investment and growth.
- Education: The project will deliver Calderdale’s young people a state of the art facility, designed to give the optimum learning environment. The facility further enhances their development; preparing them for further education, apprenticeships or their chosen career while (hopefully?) retaining talent locally within the borough.
- Accessibility: The Northgate House development is situated in a central position within the town centre. Adjacent to the bus station, with accessible car parking spaces at both the front and rear of the building there is easy direct access for all users and visitors.
Full planning permission for the site was granted in September 2018 and work on site started n April 2019.
COVID 19 has presented challenges to the delivery of the project however the Sixth Form Centre successfully welcomed its first students in September 2020. Design of the office and retail element of the project has continued throughout and are expected to open in summer 2021.