This project will see a new station constructed for Halifax. It will include removal of the station access bridge and the introduction of a transport interchange, combining all modes of travel.
The Halifax Rail Station project includes:
- Building a transformational new station building providing better quality facilities for passengers.
- Replacing the station access bridge with an attractive modern pedestrian footbridge to the new station.
- Including a new car park, drop-off, pick-up and taxi points.
- Creating a transport interchange combining all modes of travel.
- Delivering new areas for retail and hospitality units.
- Economic growth: We're improving the way people access the station to help meet future demand. We have an ambitious target to see 50% more rail trips in 2026 than in 2016. The station will improve the travel experience, create a more attractive environment and boost the local economy by increasing investment, jobs and tourism.
- Improved landscape: The station will be a regionally recognised, landmark station that serves as an instantly recognisable hub and gateway to Halifax town centre. It will combine rich heritage assets with unique design that responds to the area's distinctiveness.
- Accessibility: The new station and interchange opportunity will revitalise the relationship between the station and town.
- Sustainability: A more accessible and improved station will encourage more people to use this sustainable travel mode. It will include improved pedestrian and cycle access with new facilities.
We're currently working on developing the outline business case for the project. We'll submit this to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority in 2020.
To support the business case we ran a satisfaction survey about Halifax rail station, which will be used to inform the proposals.
As we progress with proposals we will host a public consultation, providing the opportunity for people to learn more about our plans and have their say. Following this consultation we will submit the outline business case with the aim of securing funding to progress a full business case, developing the detailed design for this transformational project.