To improve transport and connectivity in west Halifax by providing greater sustainable transport options such as walking and cycling.
The West Halifax Improved Streets for People scheme will implement a series of proposed neighbourhood improvements to enhance the local urban environment and provide better access to Halifax town centre. Options under consideration include traffic calming measures, footway refurbishments and general improvements to public space. As well as providing a better pedestrian environment and enhancing walking links to work places and other services in the town centre, these changes will also promote and encourage more local journeys on foot.
A range of other improvements such as planting and benches and seating areas will also complement the scheme as will the provision of better access to bus stops and new crossing points.
The West Halifax Bus Efficiency scheme is being designed to introduce a series of measures to improve the bus offering in West Halifax. Changes to existing road layouts and bus priority enhancements will be considered to make bus operations more efficient on key bus routes. The goal will be to reduce bus delays and to improve journey times and reliability for public transport users.
- Accessibility: More facilities for walking and cycling enabling more people to get out and about. Ultimately, we hope this will deliver a healthier, more inclusive area where people choose to walk, rest, play, cycle and use public transport.
- Network Connectivity: Walking and cycling networks to be better connected, encouraging more active and sustainable ways of travelling.
- Air Quality: Contribution to carbon reduction and air quality improvements.
- Employment: An improved walking and cycling route can provide better access to employment opportunities in West Halifax and linked to the town centre.
- Safer Streets: Improvements to road layouts will result in safer streets for pedestrians and cyclists.
The Strategic Outline Business Case (SOC) was approved in Summer 2020 and the Halifax Park Ward (Streets for People) and West Halifax Bus Improvements will now progress to develop an Outline Business Case (OBC). At this stage we will continue to define the scope of the project to identify the locations and type of improvements required in order to achieve the benefits. A public consultation took place in March and April 2021 and the results are being used to help inform the plans going forward.
This project was made possible through funding from: